2.02.2008

They say it's my birthday

I turned 51 years old today, or so they tell me. I haven't been paying attention. I'm deep into the first draft of a new novel, lost in my own imagination, and I don't know what day it is. I go around dopey and goofy all the time. Not to mention Porky.

Reaching 50 was a big deal, and I celebrated by going to a banquet in Seattle where I was up for an award. A good friend won instead. This is what they call bittersweet. I walked back to my hotel drunk and alone, very late, in the rain. Seattle noir.

What am I doing for 51? I have no idea. My wife's got something cooking, some surprise outing. I feel sure it doesn't involve walking in the rain.

Otherwise, I'll probably be sitting right here. Cranking out more pages on the new book.

Ever the party animal.

5 comments:

mybillcrider said...

Happy birthday, you young whippersnapper, you.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Steve. Come out of the cave at least long enough for a toast!
Jas.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I will be signing up for the Nuts and Bolts seminar.

Steve Brewer said...

My mother-in-law sent me a card that says, "You ain't nothing but a groundhog." It shows a groundhog crooning into a microphone, but I'm pretty sure that's Photoshopped....

Thanks for the birthday wishes.

Steve

Uncle E said...

Happy B-Day, Steve!