10.26.2008

Tony Hillerman dead at 83

Family in New Mexico sends along the sad news that Tony Hillerman has passed away. He was 83, and had been in poor health for some time. He was a great mystery writer, a Mystery Writers of America Grand Master, a decent poker player and one of the finest people I've ever known.

Last time I saw him was nearly a year ago at the writers' conference in Albuquerque that is named for him. I interviewed him before all attending, and he was, as always, a great storyteller. He will be missed.

An Albuquerque television station has a brief news item here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear of Mr. Hillerman's passing. He is one of my favorite authors and a person I always wanted to meet. I have visited so many places in in New Mexico and Arizona because of his writing. Thanks for passing the news along, Steve. Michelle Martin Streeby